Happy Halloween, it’s another Music Monday and we’re feeling spooky around here today! I’ve also got a few fantastic picks of the week from this website of ours, that we call Canadian Beats. These are highlighted articles and posts that are amazing authors have written up to promote the best in Canadian music. I like to call them Zach’s Picks of the Week, and we’re going to check out my top five right here in the video posted below.
5. Well there are not many artists that can’t say they’ve written over 800 songs in their entire career, let alone just in their first couple of years! But that was until 22-year-old Lydia Sutherland hit the scene. This Montreal-based artist has written for fellow Canadians as well as artists throughout the US and Australia. However has since stepped into the spotlight with her own country-pop flavoured vocals, including on her new single “Date a Friend”. It’s on all streaming sites and you can check out the brand new interview, conducted by our very own Pamela Roz with Lydia, HERE.
4. London, Ontario-based pop artist Nano Talrose has unveiled his new single, “falling deeper” along with a video to accompany the release. “falling deeper” channels leaning into love; finding it, holding it, and allowing oneself to lose the ability to swim in an ocean of passion, fire, and desire. Talrose recalls “The song is very different from all the other songs I’ve made so far, which are usually slower with more heartfelt lyrics and emotion”. Be sure to go check out the full article HERE.
3. Toronto-based multi-instrumentalist Cmagic5 has unveiled her brand new single “Dancing on my Heart”, along with the video for the release. Landing hot on the heels of her highly acclaimed 2021 breakthrough debut, “Ready To Run”. This sizzling new song underscores the emotional precariousness of the “moving on” phase. Bursting with feel-good vibes, witty words, and sassy undertones, the songwriting process for “Dancing on My Heart” revealed itself to be a whole new experience for the Royal Conservatory alum and vocal mentor. Be sure to read the full article HERE.
2. Pop singer-songwriter Scott Helman pushes creative boundaries on his new song “Pretty.” The accompanying video was directed by longtime collaborator Ben Knechtel, who puts Scott on full display in a pulsating solo performance – experimenting with dazzling makeup and flowing outfits – as he explores and searches for what it takes to feel confident. This new single is the second track to be released from Scott’s forthcoming project, which is due next year, following the summer release of the angsty anthem “Old Friends.” be sure to check out the new song on all streaming services and the article HERE.
1. The Dirty Nil is three albums into the game, with their latest release Fuck Art, which is, of course, available now and you need to check out. Just last week they posted this live performance of “Ride or Die,” taken from the new album and was filmed at the Killroom. Which is a private indoor skate park in Hamilton Ontario. This last year 2020 was a disaster for a lot of people in the world. These times inspire artists to look inward, take stock of our current condition, and make works of great importance that will unite and inspire an emotionally distressed population. However, I regret to inform you that just isn’t the case with Dirty Nil’s new face-melting, punch you in the gut album. Check out the article HERE.
I hope you enjoyed and found something new in Zach’s Picks of the Week. Please be sure to visit our website for more articles posted every single day. I will see you next Music Monday with more great Canadian music. I hope you all have a very happy and safe Halloween out there. Be sure to get lots of candy and share it with me. PEACE, LOVE, AND GOOD MUSIC EVERYONE!
Hey there! I’m Zach I love long walks on the beach and movies that make you cry. Wait a minute this isn’t my E-Harmony account. Let’s try this again, hi I’m Zach from Dawson Creek, BC. Before you think it, no it’s not like the TV show! I have loved music ever since I was a kid back in Abbotsford, BC where I was born. Moved up north when I was about six and was practically raised up here. Hands down one of my favorite Canadian band has to be Simple Plan, with Dallas Smith coming in second. One of my Favorite Things I enjoy doing is just sitting around listening to music or taking pictures. I’d say I’m a pretty good photographer but you can be the judge of that. Just even ask a couple of my friends City light vigil, Scarlet serenity or Violet night. If you’re still reading this congratulations you’ve reached the end.