RBC and the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television announced today the nine grant recipients for Round 2 of the MVP project – an initiative that aims to promote and assist emerging Canadian recording artists, producers and filmmakers in creating music video content.
The top four most popular submission categories were Pop (19.8%), Indie Rock (18.3%), Hip-Hop (10.7%) and Electronic / Dance Music (7.7%). The Round 2 recipient list includes rising talent from the Canadian music video scene and represents a wide range of musical genres and filmmaking styles, including stop-motion animation, dance, and short-form narrative.
Matt McGlynn, VP of Brand Marketing at RBC explains:
“The talent pool of emerging recording artists and filmmakers in Canada is incredible, and the MVP Project was created to support and promote these artists as they pursue their passion. We are immensely proud to support this second round of MVP Project recipients so they can turn their visions into reality.”
Here is the list of recipients
• Recording artist, Amaal, Director, Kat Webber and Producer, Matt Power (Toronto)
• Recording artist, Harrison, Director, Jon Riera and Producer, Connor Illsley (Toronto)
• Recording artist, Tanika Charles, Director, Nayani Thiyagarajah (aka V. T. Nayani) and Producer, Simone Ince (Toronto)
• Recording artists, Hansom Eli, Director, Yann Lo Bono and Producer, Alexy Guérer (Montreal)
• Recording artist Shay Lia, Director, CARAZ, and Producer, France-Aimy Tremblay (Montreal)
• Recording artist, Maky Lavender, Director, Alexandre Pelletier and Producer, Anthony Martino Maurice (Montreal)
• Recording artists, Said The Whale, Director, Johnny Jansen and Producer, Josh Huculiak (Vancouver)
• Recording artist, Dylan Menzie and Director/Producer, Aidan Searle (Charlottetown)
• Recording artist, Desiire and Director/Producer, Ayo Tsalithaba (Scarborough)
The MVP project is part of the RBC Emerging Artists Project, which helps Canadian artists bridge the gap from emerging to established, and supports organizations that provide the best opportunities to advance artists’ careers. Since 2015, over 11,000 artists have been supported through these programs.
Hi there! My name is Marie, I am French born and raised, now living in Montreal. I work in Marketing by day, and I’m an avid concert-goer by night. I have always had a passion for photography, and realized that this mixes quite well with my love for live music (the absolute best way to experience music, if you ask me).
You can check out some of my work on my website or on Instagram!